Saturday, March 17, 2018

This past weekend I went to Lisbon, Portugal. I have to say, I have never been as soaked and cold in my life. My friends and I traveled Thurday night into Friday., arriving at 6 in the morning. We met up with two other girls late Friday evening. This was probably one of this first times I did not plan a trip nor look into transportation in Lisbon. We walked outside with downpours of rain and unbelievable strong winds. We took cover in almost ever corner we possibly could from 6 am to 11 am. My umbrella kept flipping inside out every two seconds. Needless to say, Lisbon was definitely winder than the Windy City. 



Friday was quite the day. After finally checking into our Airbnb at 11 AM, my friends and I decided to stay put for a few hours as we dried everything that was in our backpacks because everything was drenched, including ourselves. Finally around 2 PM, we headed out to the Sao Jorge Castle (pictures to the right)! On our way there, we stopped at a little shop where my friend bought an umbrella. The employees were Indians! I was in utter shock. Throughout the weekend, I saw lots of Indians and started to miss home just because of that. However, back to Lisbon and its beauty! The castle was beautiful and there was no rain! After the castle,  we walked to the Commerce Plaza where we were so close obeating the storm! Once again, we took shelter. The water view was absolutely incredible. We returned home to make pasta and have a
 girls´ night in. 







Carmo Convent
Saturday was so much better than Friday. The weather was in our favor and we were able to capture the beauty of the city. The first stop was Feira de Ladra, an outdoor market. We thought it was a small market that we could go through in 30 minutes, but we were clearly mistaken. The market seemed never ending. There we played with a puppies that were being sold and I talked to an Indian.. It´s a funny world. The man asked me where I was from. I said Chicago and he said, but you´re from India, right?


Azulejo (Tile from the Tile Museum)
 Anyways, we spent the rest of the day walking through Lisbon and visiting the Carmo Convent, Bario Alto, the world oldest 
running bookstore, and a tile museum!













Jeronimos Monastery
On Sunday, the group of girls split up. Half of us walked and the other half took a bus to the Jeronimos Monastery. I was in the group that took the bus. We arrived the monastery and found ourselves among the marathon in Lisbon. It was shocking to see so many runners! After the monastery, we walked across the road and went towards Belem Tower. It is such a beautiful tower. Since we still had lots of time before our bus left Lisbon, we ended up going to a contemporary art museum. I have to say, it was bigger than I had thought!
Belem Tower















On our way back to the bus, my group decided to walk to the station. We thought going uphill for straight two hours during the late evening of Lisbon as a good idea... It was okay though! We kept a positive attitude because there was no rain! Upon arriving to the station, we were never so happy to go back home, Sevilla.  

If you ever have a chance to visit Lisbon, do it! I promise it is worth every uphill climb!






No comments:

Post a Comment

The end of my semester abroad.  These past two-three weeks have been unbelievably busy and emotional. For that reason, I will try to keep...