Sunday, April 22, 2018

Feria.

What is Feria? Feria was initially meant for the farmers to sell/trade crops and domesticated animals. Now it is a week long celebration with food, dancing, and drinking (rebujito). La portada de Feria (the entrance to Feria) is breathtaking. The amount of light throughout Feria reminded me so much of Diwali. Actually, this entire fair reminded me so much of home. That is probably why I loved Feria so much and went practically every day! 




The first night I went, I went with a few friends. We danced in the casetas then walked to calle infierno to take a look at the attractions. The second night, I went again with friends but this time my intercambio and his friends joined us (picture to the right)! It was great meeting his friends and getting to know him even more! Also, his friend had asked if I knew how to dance Sevillana. I told him I only know 1 of the 4 parts. He told me that when the next Sevillana song comes on, we'll dance. That being said,
I danced Sevillana with a Sevillano! 



The third and fourth day of I went to Feria, I went during the day. I had seen Feria at night and it was about time to see the it during the daylight. The atmosphere in the day is very different than it is at night. The socializing aspect of Feria is a lot more dominant. There are horse carriages everywhere, and everyone having so much fun. Never had I thought I would have to wait to cross the street for a horse.. 







The fourth day is when I went with my Spanish mom. She took me to two private casetas. The atmosphere differs so much from the private caseta to the public caseta. My mom treated me to a tinto de verano and arroz mercantil. Also, the picture to the right is the first picture I took with her since I have arrived to Sevilla. I am so fortunate to have such an amazing, caring, and loving person to take care of me when I am over 4,000 miles away. 
On the last night of Feria, there were fireworks or fuegos artificales in Spanish. Unfortunately, I did not have anyone to watch the fireworks with, but luckily I was able to call a friend from Chicago. That is when I realized how much I love Sevilla and how attached I have grown to this beautiful second home of mine. Sadly, the end of Feria marked my last three weeks in Sevilla. As much as I do not want to leave this city, I know when I return, it will be waiting for me with its arms wide open! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The end of my semester abroad.  These past two-three weeks have been unbelievably busy and emotional. For that reason, I will try to keep...