Sunday, February 25, 2018



This weekend I went to Granada (also the name for pomegranate). Before I left, I was not sure about the importance of Granada. However, after two days of being guided through La Capilla and La Alhambra, my brain is still absorbing all the information. It's  insane to think how important certain landmarks or buildings are to not only the city they are in but to the nation and the world itself. 





La Capilla, or the Royal Chapel of Granada, was breathtaking. Although I was unable to take pictures within La Capilla, it is something you just have to see in person. It reminded me of St Paul's Cathedral in London, just a lot smaller. Within La Capilla, you can see the tombs of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabel. Above the tombs are monuments to honor them. Here are some outside views of La Capilla to make up for not having inside views. 










La Alhambra was even more breathtaking and unbelievable. There is just so much history attached to such a big monument. Despite a three hour tour, I learned so much about the defensive system, the gardens, how the Sultan and his wives/mistresses lived, and much more! Every time I think that Spain cannot get any prettier, it does! The Arabs developed this monument  in such a way that there is no way you can forget about the architecture nor the beauty of it. La Alhambra means the red one, and it definitely lives up to its name. Also, I may or may not want to take my wedding pictures here..It is just so mesmerizing. To help you see what I mean, here are more pictures! 

La Alhambra
Port System

 







Even with all that learning, we had lots of free time to visit the city! My friends and I went to a market named La Alcaiceria. There were so many stores with great items! It was really hard not buying almost everything because it was all so beautiful. However, I bought myself a leather backpack for only twenty five euros, roughly 30 dollars. I normally would not buy something so nice for myself, but it was a much needed reward to myself.




Oh, also, the accents in Granada are so much easier to understand than in Sevilla! I noticed this in the market as well as in a restaurant that I went to with a different group of friends. We also met a very nice man from Copenhagen, Denmark who is spending the week in Granada. He had asked us if we spoke English because he wanted to know if we managed to order something we liked. He couldn't understand the menu, o la carta en espaƱol, and ended up ordering something he thought would taste good.  

I never thought that one city would entail so many adventures and memories. I guess you never know what the future has in store for you until you step out of your comfort zone and try something new! With that in mind, go try something new this week..who knows, you may end up loving it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The end of my semester abroad.  These past two-three weeks have been unbelievably busy and emotional. For that reason, I will try to keep...